Escape crowded holidays with a Cambodia trip from Danang
There are so many long holidays in Vietnam that you can have a foreign trip to avoid crowds. So why not traveling to Cambodia, a close by country of Vietnam? With a rich culture and friendly people, Cambodia is a charming destination with worldwide tourists and travelers. Hereunder are all you need to know to have a wonderful Cambodia trip from Danang.
What to pack for a Cambodia trip from Danang?
- Exchange money: You can use Riel (Cambodia currency) as well as USD while traveling here. Especially, you should exchange money into dollars so when coming back, you can use them in Vietnam. 1 Riel = 5,80 VND or 4000 Riel = 1 USD.
- Visa: In case you come from other countries, not ASEAN, you can get a visa on arrival at airports or border checkpoints. Or you can apply an e-visa through https://www.mfaic.gov.kh/. However, e-visas are only accepted at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap airports and Moc Bai land border. One passport-sized photo is required and you’ll be ‘fined’ 2 USD if you don’t have one. The fee to have a Cambodian visa is 30 USD.
- Customs information: To have your entry into Cambodia approved, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months. Entry fee is 20,000 VND (1 USD) if you’re from ASEAN member countries. Moreover, if you have less than 3000 USD with yourself, you don’t need to declare.
- Clothes: Bring polite clothes if you plan to visit pagodas or temples. Due to the hot and dry weather, don’t forget to prepare comfortable outfits.
- Mobiphone sim: Buy Metfone with only 5 USD and register 3G data according to form *166*22#.
Have a flight from Danang to Cambodia
From Danang, you can fly to Cambodia landing at Siem Reap or Phnom Penh airport. However, there is only Cambodia Angkor Air airline operates the direct flight from Danang to Siem Reap. The flight time is 1 hour and 20 minutes and it costs around 5,000,000 VND (216 USD) for a one-way ticket. But the schedule is not fixed so you should search on the Internet or visit its website to know more.
On the contrary, other airlines run connecting flights with popular stopovers like Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, etc. Although it’s quite inconvenient due to the long flight time (at least 5 hours), you can have cheaper selections.
There are two options for a Cambodia trip from Danang run by Vietnam Airlines at the cheapest price compared with other airlines:
- Danang – Siem Reap: 3,000,000 – 7,000,000 VND (about 130 USD – 300 USD)/ one-way ticket.
- Danang – Phnom Penh: 3,300,000 – 8,200,000 VND (about 143 USD – 354 USD)/ one-way ticket.
Travel to Cambodia through a border checkpoint
Having your Cambodia trip from Danang according to this way, you can save money but the transporting time is long. Hence, it might cause tiredness.
- Option 1: First, travel to Ho Chi Minh city from Danang by bus or airplane. You can book Tho Muoi or Phuc Thuan Thao bus traveling to Ho Chi Minh city at 400,000 – 700,000 VND (18 USD – 30 USD). It takes 18 hours on the moving. Then, book a bus/car going to Phnom Penh through Moc Bai border checkpoint where e-visas are accepted. Sapaco/Mailinh/Mekong Express/Kumho/The Sinh cafe are reliable brands that you can consider. To reach Phnom Penh or Siem Reap, it takes 6 hours and 12 hours alternately. The price is about 200,000-400,000 VND (9 USD – 18 USD).
- Option 2: This choice is for people who want to travel by motorbike. It takes nearly 8 hours riding a bike from Danang to Gia Lai. Then, you have to reach Le Thanh border checkpoint to do paperwork for entering Cambodia. From this checkpoint, it takes more 10 hours to go to Phnom Penh.
Drop by vexere.com to buy bus tickets for your trip. For a holiday from 3 to 5 days, you should consider which option is good for your Cambodia trip from Danang. If it takes too much time to transfer, you’ll have less time to experience beautiful Khmer country.
Transportation in Cambodia
The most convenient and saving way is transporting by bus. You can buy a ticket easily at hotels, homestays or visit 12go.asia to book a ride. Some popular routes are Sihanoukville – Phnom Penh (7 USD), Phnom Penh – Siem Reap (7-9 USD) and Phnom Penh – Battambang (5-7 USD).
Besides, you can go around the city by tuk-tuk to get a new experience. It’s suitable for a group of friends. However, you should estimate the distance and price beforehand.
In case you want to explore Cambodia with a motorbike, you can rent a bike with 6 USD to 8 USD per day. Nevertheless, it is adventurous because you have to know about Cambodia’s law, how to fill the gas and deal with police officers.
What to do in Cambodia?
Admire the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda
Royal Palace is a must-see in your Cambodia trip from Danang. With classic Khmer rooftop and ornate gilded decorations, Royal Palace is a gem in the bustling capital. Due to the official residence of King, most parts are closed to the public. But don’t forget to visit the Throne Hall, the main attraction of this compound.
What is more, you can visit the Silver Pagoda also in the palace compound to get an insight into Khmer architecture and religion. This is a place to keep the most precious treasures of Cambodia, especially Buddha statues. It costs only 10 USD sightseeing for both.
Understand Cambodia bloody history under the Khmer Rouge era
Visiting Tuo Sleng Prison and Killing Field is not an easy but worthy experience for anyone. Through this, you’ll know more about the Cambodian genocide and how horrors Khmer people went through.
Known as S-21 name, it takes only 8 USD to visit Tuo Sleng Prison. It’s an audio tour along numbered locations that each of them has its own touching story. Besides, you’ll see photos of how Khmer Rouge tortured people in the cruelest ways. It makes you feel really depressed and heartbreaking.
Otherwise, Killing Field is a place where S-21 prisoners bodies were transported to throw away. Despite the peaceful place today, you still feel the horrible past with rag and bone under every your step. In particular, the Memorial Stupa where display more than 8000 skulls arranged by sex and age will bring to you a disturbing and painful emotion. You have to pay just 6 USD for this tour.
Explore the stunning and mighty Angkor Archaeological Park
You don’t set your foot on Cambodia unless you pay a visit to Angkor Archaeological Park. This is an unmatched religious monument which representation Khmer art and culture the best. There are thousands of temples in this large compound with over 400 square kilometers. Therefore, it’s hard to visit it in just one day. That’s why you can choose many options for your trip including 37 USD for one day, 60 USD for 3 days and 72 USD for 7 days.
Walking through what was once the heart of Khmer civilization, you can feel the speechless beauty of these ancient architectures. Due to a huge attraction, Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm, and Ta Keo are popular spots that you can’t miss while taking this tour.
Especially, the best time to have an incredible view here is sunrise. So have a go and immerse in the atmosphere to wake up all your senses.
Enjoy a beautiful sunset on Tonle Sap river
One of the top things to do in Cambodia is having a sunset cruise tour along the Tonle Sap river. Let yourself watch amazing breathtaking sunset while enjoying the tranquil landscape under an orange-yellow sky. Besides, you can explore the life of fishermen and marvel at the floating villages. This is one of the places that most Vietnamese people living.
Lay on a beach and relax in Sihanoukville and the Islands
If you have experienced the beautiful beaches in Danang, you can’t pass pristine beaches in Cambodia as well. Placed in the southwest of the country, Sihanoukville is an attractive beachside spot with lots of tropical islands surrounding. Coming here and you can immerse in the blue water and be lazy all day on the white sand.
Besides, you can take a boat to reach magnificent islands such as Koh Rong, Koh Rong Samloem, Koh Ta Kiev, Koh Tang, etc. While Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem are most popular with tourists and travelers. So don’t forget to spend the time of your Cambodia trip from Danang relaxing on these islands.
What to eat in Cambodia?
- Khmer Red curry: Similar to the Thai curry but Khmer Red curry is less spicy. The creamy coconut milk blends with beef, pork or chicken, potatoes, eggplant, string beans, and other local herbs. When eating, you can enjoy the sweet and spicy flavors as well. It’s served with bread.
- Bai Sach Chrouk: Marinated grilled pork served with warm rice, cucumber, radish, ginger, broth, and onion. A simple dish that can satisfy any starving soul even the pickiest ones.
- Nom Banh Chok: Known as Khmer noodles, this is a popular breakfast in Cambodia. It has rice noodles, green curry sauce, lemongrass, turmeric, and lemon. It’s served with bean sprouts and other local vegetables.
- Red tree ants with beef: With a scary name, the flavor of this dish is not too bad in fact. A lot of ants (yes it’s ant) and beef is stirred fry together with basil, garlic, shallots, ginger, and lemongrass.
- Ang Dong Meuk: Besides scary popular grilled spider dish in Cambodia, Ang Dong Meuk is basically grilled squid. You can easily find this food on the street of beachside towns.
- Fish Amok: A type of curry which is steamed until it’s so tender to fall apart on the knife. This is a classic Khmer dish served in banana leaf with coconut cream on top.
- Num Pang Pâté: Like Banh Mi in Vietnam, Cambodia version is filled with diversified cuts of meat and fresh veggies.
- Kdam Chaa: A specialty of Kep town in Cambodia. This is a great combination of fried crabs and Kampot green pepper, a pepper only available in Cambodia.
Some tips for your Cambodia trip from Danang
- If you want to experience the Khmer New Year celebration, you can travel to Cambodia at the end of April or the beginning of May.
- In your Cambodia trip from Danang, you’ll visit plenty of temples so don’t forget to pack some polite clothes that can cover your shoulders and knees. Especially, for sightseeing Angkor Archaeological Park, remember to bring sunblock and a water bottle.
- Shopping in Cambodia’s markets, bargain the price lower about 50% of the price they tell you.
- Always keep your belongings close by and be careful with bag snatching.